To start be sure you have created an online optimum account on your mobile app. Check frequently for updates on personalized offers, coupons you can load onto your account, create a shopping list from the flyer and more! For more info go here.
Understanding the basics :
Shoppers Drug Mart Optimum Point Information
15x the points…20x the points…Redemption Days…Bonus Redemption days…What do all these things mean? Have you ever wondered how people get so much free stuff from the Shoppers Optimum Points Program and wanted to learn how, and how to best maximize your earning and spending of optimum points? Well keep reading!
With the optimum program you earn 10 points for every $1 you spend before taxes. So if you spend $50 you will earn 500 points. Once you have accumulated enough points you can go in and “redeem” your points for varying amounts of money off your purchases, but you will always pay the taxes. Below are the denominations of points and how much money you then get for free when you redeem those points:
* 22 000 pts = $30
* 38 000 pts = $60
* 50 000 pts = $85
* 95 000 pts = $170
It pays more to accumulate your points and redeem at the higher levels because as you can see what would normally be worth $10 (8000 pts) if you redeem that 3 times to spend $30 you actually end up redeeming 24 000 points where as if you had waited you would have only redeemed 22 000 pts for $30. This gets even bigger at the very highest level so if you redeemed $85 twice you would spend an extra 5 000 points than if you had waited until you reached 95 000 pts to redeem.
EARN Points Events:
Most of you are probably saying – well what is the point in buying products at shoppers, yes I’m earning points but things are more expensive to buy there! My answer to that is – Sometimes… I personally only shop at Shoppers Drug Mart on their bonus point days. Every couple of weeks (sometimes months) they have special days that you can earn extra points. There are 4 types of these events:
* 20x the points days when you spend $50 or more before taxes (usually a single day event)
* 15x the points when you spend $75 or more before taxes on BEAUTY/FRAGRANCE products (usually a week long event)
* Bonus 20x the points day when you spend $50 or more before taxes that will be a secret event only advertised to Optimum members via email (you will need to print and bring in a coupon to get your points)
* Earn 18 500 points when you spend $75 or more before taxes on anything
In addition to those events there are often select items each week that have extra points if you buy them (sometimes you can earn 1000 points for buying two items from the same brand, or 300 points for everyone 1 item you buy etc.)
So lets do the math:
If I usually would earn 500 points by spending $50 on a 20x the points day I now earn 10 000 points – that’s already more than $10 off! So if I do this a couple times in the year, I can usually earn enough points for a redemption of $85 or $170. If you think about the 18 500 points bonus days – if you would have spent that $75 on a 20x the points day you would have earned 15 000 points…but if you spend that $75 during the 18 500 points promotion you get an extra 3 500 points.
Now all of this considered, it is not worth it if you are spending a lot more for products at Shoppers Drug Mart than you would else where, this is where watching the sales comes in. Shoppers often has some great sales (especially on pop and some food items that you wouldn’t expect!) so watch for those sales that coincide with those bonus earning days!
What About Coupons?
Firstly make sure you have loaded your personalized coupons on your mobile app. When you see an offer you like – load it directly to your Optimum Card. No more printing coupons! Once you have loaded the coupons to your Optimum Card, you can scan your personal Shoppers Optimum Card with your next qualifying purchase and the coupon will automatically be applied to your purchase. You can present your plastic or digital Card, it’s the same thing. Read about the mobile app here if you have questions.
Now you are probably asking me – well I’m reading this on a couponing website, so what do coupons have to do with earning points? Well you can use them on your purchases! A question that always comes up around these bonus earning days is do I have to spend $50 before or after coupons? No matter what it is always before tax, but it is also BEFORE COUPONS. Follow these easy steps to make sure you always get your points even if you spend less than $50 once your coupons are deducted:
- Calculate the cost of items as you are putting them in your cart/basket – this way you will know for sure you spent $50 before coupons and taxes – so I always have my calculator on my phone open and if I put something in my cart that is 6.99 I punch that in to my calculator and the add the next item and so on. Once I’m over $50 I’m ready to go to the checkout.
- At the checkout counter before I place my items up to be scanned, I hand over my Optimum card ( scanning digital or plastic). This makes sure I a) don’t forget about it and b) it is scanned first and instantly the system recognizes me as an Optimum member. If this is a secret event than hand over your printed coupon for the 20x the points at this time too!
- Have the cashier scan all your items and give you a subtotal of what you owe, Any digital discounts you have loaded will be applied . I usually keep my paper coupons hidden from the cashier and ask “how much is it?” and when she says $54.37, I then hand over my paper coupons (Remember coupons are a form of legal tender!) and then invariably the cashier tells me I’ve dropped below $50 and I wont get my points = IGNORE THIS!!! It is not the cashier that has to do anything to give you points, it’s automatic, and you will still get them.
- Pay your remaining amount and get your receipt and check out how many awesome points you have to spend next time!
** The only exception to this is free product coupons ( FPC) – they don’t get entered into the system in the same way so they do not count towards the before tax total**
Before you do your shopping, why not go buy a gift card for $50 since you will be spending that anyway to get the bonus points. You will NOT earn bonus points (20x the points for example) on the gift card purchase, you will however earn a free 500 points just for picking up that gift card 🙂 Some great advice is if you know a bonus day is coming up, head on over to a shoppers before the bonus day to get your gift card in advance, saves you time on BONUS day 🙂
Redemption Day pointers!
Every few months Shoppers Drug Mart hosts special days to redeem your points and get bonus money. You can always redeem your points at any time for the amounts I listed above. However, on redemption days or “Spend Your Points” Events if you redeem higher amounts of points they give you extra money to spend. In a normal spend your points event if you redeem 50 000 points they give you $100 off instead of the normal $85 an extra $15! If you redeem 95 000 points during this event they will give you $200 off (an extra $30 from the normal $170). So it does really pay to spend your points on these special days! Interestingly enough, you can still use coupons in these events and get even more stuff for your money (I’m a huge fan of more stuff for less money!)
BEST TIPS for REDEMPTION DAYS
1) Bring a calculator … every time you throw something into your cart, key in the price listed ON the shelf (before taxes). You need to make sure your subtotal reaches above the $$ threshold to claim your points (ex. to claim 8,000 points you need to have your subtotal ring in at or above $10)
2) Buying GROCERIES during redemption is in your best interest. NO TAX!
3) Take your binder of coupons, never know when something AWESOME shows up on those clearance racks near the back of the store
4) If you aren’t too sure about whether you reached the point value to redeem and you are a few bucks off, you can ask the cashier to suspend your order so you can go back into the store and get yourself up to that value. Common procedure they have no problem doing
5) The shopping carts at SDM aren’t that large, so consider bringing some enviro friendly bags that you can attach to the cart
6) I love doing my SDM shopping with a buddy! Great source of fun + 4 eyes are way better then 2 😉
7) If you think your store is going to be busy the day of redemption, consider heading into the 24 hour stores around 1030pm/11pm and shopping late into the evening and checking out just after midnight on the day of redemption! You not only have quieter stores, but often times you meet fellow couponers that love to chat and share great deals!
8) Reminder you CAN use coupons! Once you calculate the subtotal for all the items using the prices listed on the shelf, you would add applicable taxes to the items that are taxed, THEN deduct the coupons from that price. Sometimes this is more difficult to calculate in stores if you are mixing taxable vs. non-taxable items. So I typically take subtotal from prices on shelf – coupons and get an approximate amount I should be at when I am finished.
9) You can also pre-purchase a Shoppers Gift Card prior to the main event (I suggest NOT doing it the day of if you can help it, as some cashiers are very very busy that day). If you want to spend $50 at SDM to get 20x the points for example, buy a gift card a head of time for $50 .. you earn the REGULAR amount on SDM gift cards (only these gift cards earn you points, not any others), and you will earn 500 FREE points! Then use that gift card when you are shopping.
10) On redemption days, you cannot use your points to get gift cards. i.e. if you want to redeem 38,000 points and get $60 worth of gift cards, you cannot do that. It has to be on merchandise purchased inside the store (with some exclusions such as tobacco, lottery tickets and prescriptions such that you cannot redeem our points to purchase these items).
Finally, the last redemption day of the year is a great time to do last minute shopping! So if you are like me, I accumulate points all year at bonus shopping events and then I redeem them at the end of November or beginning of December event for stocking stuffers and Christmas gifts which makes shopping that much more fun and giving that much better! It is always a great time to pick up things to donate at this time of year too. I usually spend some of the extra money that Shoppers gives me buying baby food to donate to Food Banks because it’s always a busy time of year.
So there you have it – Shoppers Optimum Explained – Keep an eye on your flyer for sales, earn points events, spend points events and various items on special with bonus points attached every week and you will be a pro in no time at all! Just remember, this is a great program, so don’t abuse it, we would hate to lose such an awesome money making program because there are a few bad apples out there 😉 Happy Earning!