I have been asked MANY times if I have a big stockpile and if I do, am I a hoarder? Truth is I do not have a huge stockpile, I do have a lot of items that I use a lot (toilet paper, shampoo, bodywash) but I do not buy items I don’t need simply because I have a coupon. Here are a few things to ask yourself to make sure you are couponing sensibly and not becoming a hoarder.
- Is it ok to have a stockpile? Of course it is. But you don’t need to stockpile things to last years. Try to stockpile items to last until the next sale cycle. Items always have a cycle and will go on sale again. You will get to learn these cycles. This may end up saving you money in the long run since you won’t be throwing away expired items in your stockpile.
- Is it ok to let that great coupon expire? YES! Believe me, I have let many coupons expire. If you don’t need it, let it go. Coupons will come out again and you will be able to grab a great deal again…trust me! 🙂
- Is it ok to clear a shelf because you think you will donate some? NO. While donating is a great reason to pick up a couple extra items, we should all be considerate of other shopper’s and the fact they may actually need that item as well!
- Is it ok to buy a ton of medicine since it’s such a great deal? NO. Let’s be honest, we can all use a couple bottles/packages of certain types of medicine, but we don’t need a dozen of them. Medicine does expire and most food banks don’t accept medicine for donation. Grab what you realistically think you will need and leave the rest.
- Should I grab coupons from every single tearpad I see? NO. Believe it or not, I have walked by tearpads and not grabbed a single coupon! GASP! I don’t have a pet, no need for me to grab any pet coupons. And I could take some to trade, but trading coupons has become very difficult these days with people only wanting free product coupons or high value coupons.
It is VERY easy to get caught up in a great deal and start stockpiling items you will never need. Remember, it’s good to take time off from couponing. I usually do a “no-shop” week about once a month (at least) and only buy non coupon related items that week. Happy Shopping everyone!